This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Any concerns about using YourSqlDba?

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:49 AM
If something refrains you about using YourSqlDba express them here. With YourSqlDba and its wildcard database selection feature, is becomes really easy to manage databases even in a changing database environment. If you have special needs in automatic database selection, all you have to do is to adopt a naming scheme that fits wildcard database selection parameters.

By the way wildcard database selection parameters, are multi-valued. So you can also select specific databases names besides selecting database by their names with wildcard, into the same parameter.

Having concern with maintenance windows? No problem. You can easily modify schedules, and if it is not enough you can duplicate maintenance job and use different schedules and database selection schemes. You can't do any better with other maintenance alternatives, and YourSqlDba already use intelligent optimization rules to reduce maintenance windows.
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:37 AM
Is it possible to get the documentation in some other format than just on OneNote, like Word or something?

If that's not easy at this time, could you at least deliver a Quick Start document to install/upgrade?

BTW, this project looks very interesting!
Dec 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM
I stopped using Word or similar "paper like" documentation format because they are much harder to maintain. With OneNote format I can be much more agile to improve or update it.

First do you see sections and pages on your display of documentation? If not zoom out font size. By default if your display is to small for text because text it is too large, OneNote online reduce section and pages to a small four bar icon near the title of the page. If you click on it, you force their display, and once displayed there is a pin to retain them. But the easiest way is really to zoom out the text in your browser.

About quick start recipe, I will I will soon add a quick start link on the documentation home page. But it is simply this: Download the script source, and then run it. It creates YourSqlDba database and its objects. Next go to explanation on how to run procedure: YourSQLDba.Install.InitialSetupOfYourSQLDba. This part configure automation with SQLAgent jobs, and database mail. Once that done, it's all set up.

Here is a quick link to it, but it is easy to find in SP Reference section, under Installation related procedures.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=12C385255443C4ED%217080&id=documents&authkey=!AHNqPfcuRy83NzA&
Dec 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM
When I told you I can be much more agile with this online doc, I've already made the necessary adjustments...